-

Marco Rubio warns that removing FARC from US blacklist will encourage “narco-terrorists”

U.S.A.Marco Rubio warns that removing FARC from US blacklist...

Republican Senator Marco Rubio criticized the decision to remove the FARC from the US blacklist (EFE/Drew Anger)

Marco Rubio warned Wednesday that the FARC’s extinct Colombian guerrilla should be removed from the United States blacklist. It may encourage “narco-terrorists” and the “regime” that sponsors them in the region.

As such, the Republican senator reacted in a statement, “after receiving notification that the US State Department will remove the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) from its list of foreign terrorist organizations.”

On Tuesday, a legislative source confirmed to the agency EFE He President Joe Biden’s government decided to remove the FARC from that blacklist and informed Congress of its intention.

That source in Congress reported that the notification was received on Tuesday, a day before the fifth anniversary of the signing of the peace deal between the defunct guerrilla group and the government of Juan Manuel Santos (2010-2018).

Rubio of the Republican Party and the representative of Florida recalled that “Colombia has endured decades of pain and suffering at the hands of the heinous terrorist attacks led by the FARC.”

“The Biden administration’s decision to remove FARC from the list of foreign terrorist organizations risks encouraging narco-terrorists and the regimes that sponsor them throughout our region,” he said.

Iván Márquez and other FARC dissidents announce withdrawal of arms
Iván Márquez and other FARC dissidents announce withdrawal of arms

For this reason, he said that “Congress should convene a hearing on this decision to examine what it means for the stability of the hemisphere as well as the security interests of the United States and Colombia.”

The notification to the US legislature is the first step in removing the FARC from the State Department’s list of terrorist groups.

READ MORE  Following his arrest in 2009, the FGR sentenced five subjects to 110 years in prison for organized crime and kidnapping.

There is no specific time period for the implementation of this new policy, the US State Department details on its website, which states that in this case the Secretary of State Antony Blink, is maximally responsible for that resolution.

Blinken could have made a discretionary decision or justified it by two circumstances: that the reasons that prompted the terrorist designation are no longer applicable or that the group’s removal from the blacklist is in the interests of US national interests.

State Department Spokesperson, Ned Price, declined to confirm at a Tuesday press conference whether Biden had already reached a final decision to remove FARC from the list, saying only that the former guerrilla group’s policy was being reviewed. Is.

FARC dissidents have a strong presence in the Venezuelan region
FARC dissidents have a strong presence in the Venezuelan region

“The State Department has notified Congress of further actions regarding FARC”, Price, who declined to give details about the ingredients.

As it became known this Wednesday, the gesture that celebrates five years since the signing of the final peace deal does not include dissidents of missing guerrillas. Thus, the group led by Luciano Marin Arango, aka Ivan Marquez, and miguel botache santillana, nicknamed Gentil Duarte, will be on the list of foreign terrorist organizations.

As a result of the inclusion of these two groups on the US terrorist list, their leaders would be banned from entering the United States and their access to the dollar-based international financial system would be restricted, among other punitive actions.

With information from EFE

read on:

The United States will remove the FARC from the list of terrorists on the anniversary of the signing of the peace.

Latest news

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you