Soracom announced on November 26 that it will rent out devices for free and hold an “IoT communication course that you can learn by yourself” from November 25, 2021 to February 28, 2022 to support IoT self-learning. The rental period of the device is about 3 weeks. Pre-registration is required and participation fee is free. There are only two conditions for participation: “You must have created a SORACOM account” and “You must answer the questionnaire after experiencing the IoT communication course.” It is aimed at both working people and students, and is calling for the participation of those who want to learn IoT technology and those who want to realize IoT ideas. In addition, an “IoT counseling room” where you can ask questions to experts will be held according to the course period.
For those who want to learn the development of IoT systems, Soracom has expanded the “SORACOM IoT Store”, a mail-order site where you can purchase IoT devices, and the “SORACOM IoT DIY Recipe”, a development procedure manual for each usage scene, including holding technical seminars. Supporting self-learning. Also, from July to August 2021, the “IoT Communication Course” was held, and it is said that more than 200 people applied. This time, we will hold the second part of the IoT communication course.
In the IoT communication course that you can learn by yourself, you can lend a device that is relatively easy for beginners to start learning to applicants for free. The items to be rented this time are the “GPS multi-unit” that integrates GPS and sensors that can measure temperature, humidity, and acceleration, the “simple surveillance camera kit” that includes a Raspberry Pi and a web camera, and an Arduino compatible microcomputer. Three types of “Grove IoT Starter Kit” that includes a board and seven types of sensors. Select one of these when you apply.
These devices are not limited to learning purposes, but are actually used in business. For example, GPS multi-units are used for vehicle location tracking and temperature / humidity control of luggage such as medical supplies and foods being transported. It is said that it is useful for. Care is taken to ensure that what you learn can lead to business.
Participants can proceed with their own learning based on the procedure manual “SORACOM IoT DIY Recipe” that explains the development method in an easy-to-understand manner for each step.
Through the IoT platform SORACOM, Soracom provides the services necessary to build a system that “connects” to IoT communication and the Internet. By using SORACOM, the idea of utilizing IoT can be quickly realized with a small initial cost, so it is said that more than 20,000 customers of various industries and sizes are utilizing it for business evolution.
Outline of “IoT communication course that you can learn by yourself”
- Organizer: Soracom
- Participation conditions, etc.：
・ There are no conditions for working people, students, etc.
・ You have already created a SORACOM account.
・ Answer the questionnaire after the course experience
- Participation fee: Free (pre-registration required)
- Holding period: November 25, 2021 to February 28, 2022
- application: Do it from the application form on the official website of the IoT communication course that you can learn by yourself
- content: Participants perform self-learning based on SORACOM IoT recipe
- Necessary equipment: Participants prepare their own PCs required to experience IoT DIY recipes
Rental period, shipping and return method
The following four types of rental period are set, and the rental device will be shipped on the start date of each period. For example, if you choose a rental ticket from November 25th to December 14th, it will be shipped on November 25th (depending on the area, it will arrive the next day or the day after next). In addition, shipping is carried out on weekdays, and holidays are not supported. However, it is shipped during the year-end and New Year holidays (December 29 to January 5).
In addition, it is necessary to return it until the end date of the lending period. If it is from November 25th to December 14th, it will be shipped by December 14th. For this return, a return slip is included in the rental device, and the slip is used for return.
- November 25, 2021-December 14, 2021
- December 17, 2021-January 7, 2021
- January 11, 2022-January 28, 2022
- February 13, 2022-February 18, 2022
- The device ships on the start date of each period
- Return it until the end of the rental period.Use the included return cash on delivery slip
3 types of rental IoT devices
There are three types of IoT devices to be rented, and one of them is selected. SORACOM SIM is required to use the device, but “IoT SIM 300MB pack” is attached to all rental devices. The product is 330 yen per month and includes a data communication charge of 300MB. If it exceeds 300MB, it can be used for an additional charge of 110 yen for every 500MB.
GPS multi-unit SORACOM Edition (built-in battery type) starter kit
“GPS Multi-Unit SORACOM Edition (Built-in Battery Type) Starter Kit” is a product that allows you to experience data collection and visualization from four sensors (temperature, humidity, location information, acceleration) just by operating the browser. With a rechargeable built-in battery, you can use it anywhere just by turning on the power.
IoT DIY recipe example
- Visualization of temperature and humidity with IoT: Use GPS multi-unit to monitor indoor temperature and humidity.Use data collection / storage service “SORACOM Harvest Data” and dashboard creation / sharing service “SORACOM Lagoon”
- Notify when to eat ice cream with IoT: Measured with a temperature sensor using GPS multi-unit. Notify by email to any email address. Using SORACOM Harvest Data and SORACOM Lagoon
- Automatic update of attendance status with IoT: Acquire and utilize accelerometer data. You can learn communication management by SORACOM IoT SIM, SORACOM Harvest, notification linkage setting to Slack using cloud function adapter “SORACOM Funk” (using AWS Lambda function), etc.
IoT Experience Kit-Simple Surveillance Camera-
“IoT Experience Kit-Simple Surveillance Camera-” is a simple surveillance camera kit that includes a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B +, a USB type dongle “AK-020”, and a USB camera. With a webcam, temperature sensor, and data collection / storage service “SORACOM Harvest Data”, you can perform fixed-point observation of what you want to observe, store shooting data, and visualize temperature data.
IoT DIY recipe example
Grove IoT Starter Kit for SORACOM
“Grove IoT Starter Kit for SORACOM” is an IoT experience kit that includes 7 types of Grove sensors and an Arduino compatible development board “Wio LTE JP Version” (Japanese specification model) equipped with an LTE module. The Grove sensor can be connected to the microcontroller board without soldering (no soldering knowledge required). Development using Arduino IDE is possible.
IoT DIY recipe example
- Gesture system with IoT: Utilizes Wio LTE JP Version and Grove ultrasonic distance sensor module. Visualize by accumulating gesture results with SORACOM Harvest Data
“IoT Counseling Room” where you can ask IoT experts (using Zoom)
As mentioned at the beginning, there will be an “IoT Counseling Room” where you can ask IoT experts questions during the course. The format is to use the Zoom meeting, and the URL for participation in each schedule is described in the email after application.
When building an IoT system, you can ask questions that cannot be solved by text alone, and it is recommended that the operation of each recipe be completed by the IoT counseling room.
Schedule of “IoT Counseling Room”
- 2021 December 2, 17:00~19:00
- December 27, 2021 17:00~19:00
- 17:00~19:00 on January 20, 2022
- February 10, 2022, 17:00~19:00