-

The disappearance of tennis player from the United Nations to America increased the pressure on China

U.S.A.The disappearance of tennis player from the United Nations...

The international situation has multiplied, from the United Nations to the United States government to offer an explanation from China about the disappearance of Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai, who hasn’t shown signs of life since early November.

The whereabouts of the 35-year-old former world stunt number one is unknown as she accused former Vice Premier Zhang Gaoli of forcing her to have sex before making her his boyfriend three years ago on social media.

White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said Friday that the US is “deeply concerned” about Shuai’s situation.

Washington called on China to “provide independent and verifiable evidence” of the athlete’s whereabouts and safety.

On Friday, the United Nations also joined international demands for information on the tennis player’s condition.

“It will be important to have proof of his whereabouts and to know that he is well. We also urge a transparent investigation into his sexual assault allegations,” said Liz Throsel, a spokeswoman for the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights. At a press conference in Geneva.

– The world of tennis gathered –

The WTA, the governing body of world women’s tennis, also called for a “transparent and fair” investigation and even threatened to exclude China from circuit events.

“We are fully prepared to withdraw China from its activities and deal with any complications,” WTA President Steve Simon announced on Thursday.

The results could be important to the organization, as China is one of its main partners with a dozen tournaments in its region each season, some of them very lucrative.

Under the hashtag #WhereIsPengShuai, several players and tournaments keep on social media demanding clarification on Shuai’s situation.

Men’s tennis number one Novak Djokovic called the issue “shocking” earlier this week, while Japanese star Naomi Osaka said she was “shocked by the situation” and American Serena Williams said she was “devastated”.

READ MORE  United States. - Vice President Harris' press officer leaves the White House

In a statement issued by the foreign ministry on Friday, France declared itself “concerned by the lack of information regarding the situation in Peng Shuai”, which worries the international community and sports circles.

For its part, the Lawn Tennis Association, the organizer of the Wimbledon tournament, said in a statement that it had “written the WTA to offer (its) assistance in its efforts to establish the safety and welfare of Peng Shuai.”

– Question about mail –

Peng Shuai posted his allegations on his official Weibo account, the Chinese equivalent of Twitter, on November 2, before China blocked any references to this message. AFP could not confirm whether the message was written by himself.

Since then, the tennis player – winner of doubles at Wimbledon in 2013 and Roland Garros in 2014 – has not appeared in public again. An email attributed to him was released by official Chinese media on Thursday, but its authenticity is disputed by Steve Simon.

In the message, Peng reportedly claimed that his previous allegations are “not true” and that he is “resting at home and all is well.”

Peng’s condemnation propelled the #MeToo movement to the highest positions of China‘s ruling Communist Party for the first time.

“The Chinese government has systematically silenced the country’s #MeToo movement,” said Amnesty International researcher Dorian Lau on the Asian giant.

“Given that his approach to criticism is zero tolerance, it is very disturbing that Peng Shuai is missing,” he said.

China has repeatedly declined to comment on the Shuai case. Hu Zijin, editor of the Communist Party-owned Global Times, tweeted on Friday that he does not believe that “Peng Shuai has received retaliation and repression of foreign media projections.”

bur-fby/mab/meb/gbv/ol

Latest news

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you