-

US to pay US$130 million compensation to next of kin of Parkland shootings due to FBI negligence

U.S.A.US to pay US$130 million compensation to next of...

The New York Times reported on Monday that the United States is to pay $130 million to victims and relatives of the Parkland shootings because the federal police (FBI) did not investigate information that had the potential to prevent the tragedy.

On Valentine’s Day 2018, Nicolas Cruz opened fire with an AR-15 semiautomatic rifle at his old Parkland, Florida high school, killing 17 people and injuring about 15 others, one of the worst school massacres in the United States. Was.

To carry out his assault, Cruz, 19, had legally purchased an assault rifle, despite his psychiatric history.

The FBI admitted after the shooting that it had not examined the two leads it had received about him.

A YouTube channel owner made a comment five months before the shooting that a netizen named “Nicola Cruz” had left on a video of him saying he would become “a professional school shooter”.

READ MORE  Guns, tension and politics: road rage in America gets dramatic

Then, in January 2018, six weeks before the massacre, a woman called the FBI to report that Cruz had been showing the arms and ammunition she had been hoarding on Instagram.

According to The New York Times, “I know it’s going to explode,” he warned, fearing he would “broke into a school and start shooting”.

The newspaper recalls that admitting this mistake prompted the families of the victims to sue them for negligence.

Cruz pleaded guilty to 17 murder charges in mid-October and said he was “sorry.” Prosecutors have said they will seek the death penalty for the perpetrator of the massacre.

VGR/DX/DGA/AG

Latest news

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you