Saturday, April 13, 2024

Related Posts

I once thought I was poisoned… The doctor in the Baolin Tea Room case explained his illness

Two people died of food poisoning at “Po Lam Tea House”. An autopsy is expected to clarify the cause of death today. The Ministry of Health and Welfare held a special project meeting on Wednesday, in which representatives of doctors providing care were invited. Patients, as well as the Department of Disease Control and Prevention and the Food and Drug Administration, to participate in the discussion. A total of 11 related cases have been reported. Experts attending the meeting said they guessed it was bongkrekic acid poisoning and restored the case’s care status at that time.

There are a total of 12 related cases, including 2 deaths. Wang Bisheng, deputy director of the Ministry of Health and Welfare, said that according to the epidemic investigation, all of these cases went to Baolin Tea House for a meal between March 19 and 22 and consumed rice noodles or noodles. This is a serious matter and a rare case, and we hope it can be clarified as soon as possible. Reason.

The first death in this case was a 39-year-old man named Lu, who died during a rescue operation on the 24th. At the meeting, the experts reconstructed the situation at that time. Although first aid was successfully given in the emergency room, he later died of organ failure a few hours later in the intensive care unit. It is estimated to be a respiratory toxin, oryzomycin, which can be fatal at up to 1 mg. There is no antidote, so active treatment can only be done, such as plasmapheresis, treatment of anticoagulant dysfunction and transfusion of large amounts of plasma; However, the final results are still pending. Relevant inspection and confirmation of laboratory results.

Another woman, surnamed Wu, 40, was still being treated in the intensive care unit. At that time, the intensive care physician admitted the patient and found that his symptoms were similar to Mr. Lu’s, so he alerted the toxicology department and thought he had been poisoned. Subsequent analysis speculated that this was not the same as chemical poisoning, as the liver index of these cases was very high, ranging from a few thousand to 10,000 or 20,000. They had symptoms of acute liver failure, more similar to those caused by bacterial toxins and norovirus. Diarrhea is different.

Su Yuzhang, director of the emergency toxicology department of Mackay Hospital, said that Burkholderia gladioli is an oxygen-loving gram-negative bacillus and a plant pathogenic bacteria that can also cause opportunistic infections in humans and is symbiotic with plants and fungi. Could. In soil, water, plant roots and many animals.

Su Yuzhang said that the toxin produced by Burkholderia gladioli is “respiratory toxin bongkrekic acid”, which can cause human poisoning and be fatal after consumption. Bacteria thrive in warm temperatures and the presence of fungal organisms, so food fermentation processes are more likely to occur. However, this type of poisoning is rare. Similar things have happened in Guangdong, mainland China, and there are some relevant studies in the world.

Su Yuzhang said that rice fermentation acid can interfere with cellular energy production, causing cell damage and death. Initial symptoms of toxicity include fatigue, dizziness, stomach pain, vomiting, severe diarrhea and sweating, changes in consciousness, and possible hypoglycemia; In severe cases liver failure, kidney damage and coma may occur. Mortality rates range from 40% to 100%, with death from multiple organ failure within a day of the first signs and symptoms. The best way for people to prevent this type of poisoning is to try to eat fresh ingredients, avoid eating expired food, and pay attention to food preservation, especially in hot climates.

taiwan

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Popular Articles